Monday 10 October 2016

BASIC VERB PATTERNS: TO or -ING?



1) LIKES AND DISLIKES

    Like, hate, love, prefer, don't like, etc. > These verbs can take the:
          ~ Infinitive: for particular occasions
          ~ -ING : when talking in general

Ex:  I love being alone at home (in general)
        I love to be alone when I have to work.

Ex:  I like driving a lot but ...
       I don't like to drive during the rush hour.

# PREFER +  -ING  +   TO  +  -ING

Ex:  I prefer walking to cycling

# WOULD + these verbs + TO + INFINITIVE

Ex:   I would like to be a doctor one day.
        I would hate to spend Christmas alone.
        She would prefer to walk rather than drive.

#  ENJOY 
#  FANCY
#  WOULD / DON'T MIND          +  -ING
#  FEEL LIKE
#  CAN'T  STAND  
#  CAN' T RESIST
#  CAN´T HELP

 Ex:  Martha enjoys getting up very early on Saturdays
         Would you mind opening the window?
          I don' t mind doing the washing up.
          She can' t  stand trying on clothes.
          I can' t resist checking for text messages every few minutes.
          My sister can' t help biting her nails all the time.

BUT:  I can´t wait to see my best friend!

2) OTHER VERBS FOLLOWED BY -ING:
 
 -  detest, admit, look forward to, give up, suggest, involve, finish ...

EX., I´m looking forward to hearing from you.

        Sarah gave up smoking two years ago.

        We suggested going for a long walk.

*Negative form: Verb + NOT + -ING

Ex:  He admitted not paying for the ticket 

   - DO THE + -ING: mainly to talk about the housework
      Ex. Do the ironing/ shopping / hoovering / washing up...

   - GO + -ING: used for some sport activities.
      Ex: Go swimming / cycling / jogging / bungee jumping ...

3) VERBS FOLLOWED BY TO-INFINITIVE:
   Ex:      want        promise          wish            decide ...

                     agree       hope                refuse          offer ...

* Sometimes we can use an OBJECT between these verbs and the infinitive:

Ex: They want me to start work tomorrow.
      Sean asked the kids to help him with the preparations.


4) VERBS FOLLOWED BY INFINITIVE OR -ING WITH A CHANGE OF MEANING:

 Ex: Remember to do / doing
        Forget to do / doing
        Try to do / doing                                       (See next Blog entry)
        Stop to do sth / doing sth
        Regret to do / doing

* Be careful!  All the verbs WITH  PREPOSITION must be followed by -ING.
   
    Ex: He gave up smoking many years ago.
          We are thinking about buying a new car.



Now, for more explanation, watch this Video-tutorial on the use of Gerunds, 
to-infinitives and Bare infinitives.





No comments: