Wednesday 14 November 2018

Future Perfect vs Future Continuous



How do you see yourselves when you are 70? Do you look forward to getting old?


  • Look at these pictures of elderly people reflecting different attitudes towards life when they are old. 
  • Have  a look at all of them and decide which one will best represent your attitude to life.
  • Write two sentences using the FUTURE PERFECT and two sentences using the FUTURE CONTINUOUS, based on the picture you  have chosen.
  •   For example:   
  • I will have tried parachuting when I am 70 
  • I will probably have written a recipe book.
  • I will probably be living in Australia.
  • I will be living life to the fullest.
  • Now work in small groups and answer the following questions about the future. Give reasons and use different expressions to GIVE OPINION. All the questions contain either a Future Perfect or a Future Continuous. Try to use these tenses in your answers.


Expressing Opinion (Speaking)

Here’s a list of expressions you can use to express your opinion, agree and disagree with other people’s opinions. You don’t have to use all of them; choose three or four you feel comfortable using and practise them whenever you can. 


Expressing one’s opinion 
·  I think/consider/find/ believe/suppose/feel that... 
·  As far as I know... 
               ·  In my opinion... 
·  My impression is that... 
·  As far as I’m concerned... 
·  I would say that... 
·  I hold the opinion/the view that... 
·  To my mind, ... 
·  Speaking personally,... 
·  I have the feeling that... 
·  In my experience... 
·  I'd suggest that... 
·  I'd like to point out that... 
·  My personal view is that 
·  I might be wrong but ... 
             ·  It seems to me that...
Agreeing/supporting other people’s opinion 
·  Of course. 
·  You're absolutely right. 
                ·  Yes, I agree. 
·  I think so, too. 
·  That's a good point. 
·  Exactly. 
·  That's just what I was thinking. 
·  I couldn't agree more. 
·  That’ s what I feel, too 
·  I (fully) agree with you 
·  X raised some good points 
·  He/she is quite right 
·  I share your view 
·  We are of the same mind 
Disagreeing /contradicting other people’s opinions 
(please, make sure you express your disagreement in a polite way) 
·  I don’t agree 
·  I’m sorry to disagree with you 
·  Yes, but don’t you think...? 
·  I don’t think so 
·  You can’t say that 
·  That’s no proof 
·  That’s not the point/the question 
·  I take a different view 
·  I don’t agree with what you’re    saying 
·  I’m not so sure about that 
·  On the contrary, I think.. 
·  This argument does not hold water 
·  Nonsense! 
             ·  You’re off your head


1 comment:

Carly Vineberg said...

Thumbs up for your articles. It is very enlightening and achieves what it desires. I will make sure that I read all of your blogs in future. Every information you said on concept of types of sentences is very useful . It will definitively enhance my knowledge.