Sunday 19 February 2017

REVISIONS 1º BTO

1.  Complete the sentences. Add a relative pronoun and a suitable ending.
1.  She really likes the boy ...............................................................  .
2.  They’ve opened a new shop .......................................................  .
3.  He was born in a town ................................................................  .
4.  2000 was the year ...................................................................... .

2. Join the sentences. They can be Defining or Non-Defining. Omit the relative when it is possible.

1. J. K. Rowling is now very rich. She is the author of  Harry Potter books.
   
2. The country hotel has closed down. We stayed there last summer.
   
3. Jane´s husband is a TV reporter. She is a newspaper journalist.
   
4. Summer is a wonderful time. I´m hardly at home in summer.
   
5. The actors receive Oscar gift bags before the ceremony. The Oscar gift bags
     are very expensive. (2)

6. I visited Marbella. Many people spend their holiday in Marbella.
   
7. Did you watch the horror film?  I told you about the film yesterday.
    
8. My maths teacher studied in Barcelona. His best friend is a famous musician.
  
9. I bought train tickets to London. The tickets cost $25 each.  (2)
  
10. I like Ralph Fiennes a lot. He is starring a new film now.

11. I want to be friends with a boy. The boy is talking to Susan right now. (2)

---- More Relative Clauses here.
3    Correct the sentences. Two sentences are correct.
     1    I think she’s the girl who brother is a film stuntman
           __________________________________________

2    The director I most admire is James Cameron.

      ______________________________________________

3    The festival, that attracts thousands of people, lasts for a week.

      ______________________________________________

4    I remember the day when I went to the cinema for the very first time.
      ______________________________________________
5    Wellington in New Zealand is they make the special effects for a lot
      of films these days.
      ______________________________________________
6    Let’s find a café stays open late.
      ______________________________________________
7    Meryl Streep, whose played the main character in The Iron Lady, won an Oscar.
      ______________________________________________
8    She’s the woman plays the main character in the Twilight films.
      ______________________________________________
DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES WITH PREPOSITIONS

A Rewrite each formal sentence as an informal one.

1. These are the boys with whom I went on holiday.

These are the boys (who) I went on holiday with.

2. This is the letter for which I´ve been waiting.

3. That is the hotel at which I stayed.

4. Tim is someone to whom I hardly ever write.

5. Ravenna was the most interesting town in which we stayed.

B. Add the relative pronoun to each sentence. They have been omitted.

1. Friday was the last time I saw Jim.

Friday was the last time THAT I saw Jim.

2. The island we visited was extremely beautiful.

3. The girl I met was a friend of Philip´s.

4. The meal we ate wasnt very tasty.

5. Gina was the first person I asked.

6. The book I read didn´t explain the problem.

7. The teacher we usually have was  ill.


8. The friends I met last night send you their love.


4. Rewrite using the words in brackets:
     1. I´ve known Peter for twenty years. (first)
     2. Sue started working here 20 years ago. (for)
     3. Despite the age of the house, they could sell it. (although)
     4. In spite of the high cost of the tickets, we went to Lady Gaga´s concert. (although)
     5. I´ve had this car since 1985. (bought)
5. Verb Tenses: Present and Past Tenses: Present Simple/Continuous/ Past Simple/Continuous/ Past Perfect/ Present Perfect
NO HUGS ALLOWED
(1) ……………… you ……………… (feel) that the rules at your school are too strict? Well, Shephard Junior High School in Arizona, USA has got rules that are probably stricter. One warm spring day last March, 14-year-old Shephard student Chelsea Braham (2) ……………………… (give) her best friend a big hug when suddenly another friend (3) ……………………… (tap) her on the shoulder. “Be careful,” she said. “The teacher (4) ……………………… (watch) you!” But it was too late. The teacher (5) ……………………… (send) Chelsea to the principal’s office. Her crime? She (6) ……………………… (hug) her friend for too long, breaking a new school rule: hugging in the school for more than two seconds was forbidden.
The following day, 100 students (7) ……………………… (hold) a protest across the street from the school. The entire group (8) ……………………… (hug) each other for 20 minutes. Chelsea, who was one of them, had her mother’s full support. The principal said: “I ………………………………..(seen/never) anything like that!"
6    Modal Verbs: Rewrite:
                 He ought to do a vocational course.
                He should do a vocational course. (should)

1    We needn’t hand in our maths homework until next week.
      We _________________________ hand in our maths homework until next week. 
2    It was a mistake not to go to the college open day last week.
      We _________________________ to the college open day last week. 
3    Taking mobile phones into the exam room is prohibited.
      You _________________________ your mobile phone into the exam room. 
4    It’s possible that I left my bag on the bus.
      I suppose I _________________________ my bag on the bus. 
1    Circle the modal verb which is not possible.
           Ex., The test must / may / should have been difficult because nobody got good marks.

1    Peter could / has to / should study medicine because he’s excellent at science.
2    Sunday is my favourite day because I don’t have to / mustn’t / needn’t get up early.
3    Simon may not / can’t / mustn’t drive the car because he hasn’t got a driving licence.
4    I haven’t seen her today. She might / should / could be ill.
5    We were sitting at the back, so we couldn’t / weren’t able to / might not hear the speaker.
6    Students must / have to / can be quiet in the library.
7    I didn’t have to / mustn’t / didn’t need to study last night.
6. Ask questions:
1. The squash club opens five nights a week.
2. It is about 15 kilometres from here to Seville.
3. I´ll be 15 years old next week.
4. Her manners bother me.
5. Her manners bother me.
6. I was sleeping when the alarm went off.
7. Annette´s mother has won an award.
8. We will be waiting for you at the station at six.
9. I wrote to Julie.
10. My brother hasn’t been to Italy for a long time.


7. Phrasal Verbs:    Complete the sentences with the prepositions in the list:

on   out   to   up   with


How do you put up with his bad temper?


1. I can always count ___________ my parents to help me when I’ve got a problem.

2We’re really looking forward ____________________ our holidays.

3. You’ll end ____________________ poor if you keep spending your money like    

4Jack helped me ____________________ with my maths revision.


No comments: