Tuesday 23 May 2017

Reported Speech

Practise Reported Speech with Videos

VIDEO 1: A romantic scene from the film Love Actually.
                 Pause the video and report what the characters said.



Someone knocked on the door and Julie wet to open. Then, ...

1. Peter asked Julie who it was.
2. Mark told Julie to ....
3.
4.
5.
6.

VIDEO 2: Scene from the film The Notebook.





VIDEO 3: Kids say the funniest things ...

  

 

Some grammar tips:

1) REPORTED REQUESTS:

Ask someone to do something

Ex., `Can I see your tickets, please?´  ------   The inspector asked me to see my ticket.

        `Please, don´t wear those boots in the house` ---- I asked them not to wear the boots
                                                                                       in the house.
        `Please, mum, let me stay a bit later.` ---- The girl asked / begged her mum to stay a bit longer.


2) REPORTED OFFERS, PROMISES, ETC:

a.- Offer to do something

b.-Promise to do something

c.-Agree to do something

d. Refuse, threaten, to do something

Examples:

a.- `We´ll pay for the damage`, he said. -----  He offered to pay for the damage.

     `Shall I help you, madam?, I asked. -----  I offered to help the woman.

b.-  `I´ll definitely finish it by tomorrow`----- She promised to finish it by the next day.
                                                               (Also: She promised that she would finish .... )

c.- `Ok, I´ll meet you at the station`, I said to them. ---- I agreed to meet them at the station.

d.-  `I won´t see you anymore` she said. ------  Ellen refused to see him again.


3) REPORTED SUGGESTIONS

Suggest + -ING

Suggest that + Subj+ (should) + infinitive

Examples:

`Let´s go window-shopping!`, Nina suggested. ------ Nina suggested going window-shopping.
                                                                                     (=Nina is included in the suggestion)

`Why don´t you ask for a second opinion, Sean? ----

   My mother suggested that I (should) ask for a second opinion.
 ( the main subject is not included in the suggestion)

`How about organising/ Shall we organise a concert to raise money?  ----
      They  suggested organising  a concert to raise money.

`Why don´t you take up aerobics, ?` I said. ----- I suggested that she (should) take up aerobics.

                           

4) There are many other reporting verbs such as invite,advise, remind, warn + to- infinitive

Others are followed by an -ING form, for example admit, apologize for, insisted on ...

Examples:

`If I were you, I would take a taxi`   ------     Mark advised us to take a taxi.

`I really must have a rest`      ------               Trevor insisted on having a rest.



FURTHER REVISION

Mixed Tense Reported Statements

Reported Yes/No Questions
Reported Wh Questions

Mixed Reported Questions

Reported Requests and Orders

Reported Speech Mixed Exercise 1

Reported Speech Mixed Exercise 2




No comments: